Welcome to the London Borough of Barnet. Working with the council can be challenging, enjoyable, as well as hard work, but is also very rewarding.
Barnet residents and taxpayers expect high quality, flexible and responsive public services for themselves, their families and their communities. We have moved away from the traditional model of providing services ‘in house’ through a number of directorate silos, to a ‘mixed economy’ of services taken from the public and private sectors, with the aim of securing the best deal for our residents.
This commissioning model allows us to be more flexible in the approach we take to providing the services our residents need and ensures we get the best value for money.
Our Corporate Plan 2015 - 2020
The council’s Corporate Plan sets out our vision and values for the next four years based on our key principles of fairness, responsibility and opportunity to make sure Barnet is a place:
- of opportunity, where people can further their quality of life
- where people are helped to help themselves, recognising that prevention is better than cure
- where responsibility is shared, fairly
- where services are delivered efficiently to get value for money for the taxpayer.
For more detail, please read our Corporate Plan Summary.
Our external partners
We work with several external partners who provide services on our behalf:
- Barnet Group (Barnet Homes) – delivers full housing services across 15,000 homes and homelessness services to the whole of the borough
- Customer and Support Group (CSG) - provides services that include Finance, IT, Procurement, Insight, Customer Services, HR (including payroll and pension), Revenues and Benefits, Estates and Health and Safety
- Re – provides development and regulatory services (DRS) to residents in Barnet and the South East
- Cambridge Education (Education and Skills) – provides services in four key areas that include School Improvement, Education Partnerships and Commercial Services, Special Educational Needs and Inclusion and Post-16 Education
- HB Public Law - joint legal service launched by Barnet and Harrow councils
- Public Health - joint venture with Harrow Council to improve residents’ health and wellbeing and promote healthier living.
Our Delivery Units (some of our external partners are also referred to as Delivery Units)
- Adults and Communities - works in close partnership with our health partners and the voluntary sector to provide information, advice and services for residents
- Family Services - ensures that all children and young people in Barnet achieve the best possible outcomes and are enabled to become successful adults, especially our most vulnerable children
- Street Scene – delivers our waste and recycling services and ensures our environmental commitments are met
- Assurance – delivers governance, internal audit and electoral services, as well as the Corporate Anti-Fraud Team (CAFT). The Director of Assurance is also the council’s Monitoring Officer and manages the relationship with HB Public Law.